DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY
The Department of History has been in existence since inception of the college i.e. 1968(BA/PUC). Ever since 36 batches of students have graduated with History as one of their core subjects. Apart from compulsory papers, the department offers many electives. The Department has a practice of inviting eminent guest faculty for delivering lectures. It has organized many academic events like Seminars, Symposia in the past.
The Department of History was fortunate to have the service of eminent lecturers. The first lecturer of the Department was late Sri Ch. Shesha Reddy, who worked for five years from 1968 to 1973. When he was left the college to join Osmania University, Hyderabad in 1973 Sri G. Meeneshwar Rao, Joined in the Department and worked up to 2001. He completed his research work on “Cultural revival and freedom movement in Warangal Subha” and got his Doctorate Degree from Kakatiya University, Warangal in April 1991.
Dr. M. Sambaiah has joined in the Department in 1998. Since then Dr. M. Sambaiah is rendering his service for the Development of the Department as well as the college. He got his M.Phil degree from Kakatiya University, Warangal in 1993 for his work on Rise of Modern Textile Industries in Telangana 1910-1948. He got fellowship from Indian Council of Historical Research, New Delhi for his M.Phil work. He completed his Ph.D. Work on “Problems and Perspectives of Cotemporary Indian Historiography – A Case Study of Ayodya Issue” from Kakatiya University, Warangal. Presently he is the Head of the Department.
Dr. M. Sambaiah associated with the professional organizations such as Andhra Pradesh History Congress, South Indian History Congress, and Indian History Congress. He regularly attending the Seminars, Conferences, Workshops held in other universities presenting papers and actively participating in the deliberations. He has published several research papers and books.
Dr. M. Sambaiah Organized a Two-Day National Seminar on “Problems and Perspectives of Modern Historiography with Reference to Indian Culture and Heritage” on 21st & 22nd August, 2015.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
· The faculty, besides conducting regular and effective classes has also been undertaking extra- curricular activities in the same vigor and enthusiasm.
· The Department has been arranging the various competitions like debate, essay writing, quiz etc., to improve the talent of students and updating them with latest general knowledge.
· The faculty has been very keen in conducting field tours to Historical Sites in and around Warangal, as Warangal being the Cultural Center of Kakatiya rule in Medieval period.
· The Department of History is encouraging the students in collection of paper clippings of the subjects of important topics relating to the competitive exams like State Public Service Commission Exams, Union Public Service Exams and B.Ed. Entrance Exams etc.
· The faculty is also encouraging the bright students to undertake the study projects to inculcate their research ability.
DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY FACULTY
1. Dr.Mandala Sambaiah - Reader & Head Dept. of History
M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D.